approx 20 mins
2 cups pre-cooked Brown Rice (left over rice is perfect)
1/4 cup Sunflower seeds
1/4 cup Almonds
1/4 cup Cashew nuts
3 tbs Sesame Seeds
1 med brown onion, diced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
3 tbs Tamari (or soy sauce if not gluten free)
1/2 cup dry Arame Seaweed (optional)
1 large carrot, grated
2 tbs sunflower oil, for cooking
Tofu or Tempeh cubes to top rice (optional)
- Dry roast the nuts and sunflower seeds on medium heat until sunflower seeds go lightly golden, add sesame seeds, remove from heat once sesame seeds have turned golden, set aside.
- Pour enough hot water over Arame seaweed (if using) so the seaweed is covered, allow to soak for 5 min, strain and set aside (the seaweed will epand and rehydrate in the water)
- In a large wok or frypan, heat oil on med-high, add onion and garlic, sautee until it starts to soften then add grated carrot, continue to cook until carrot is cooked.
- Turn down to low heat, add rice and pre-roasted nuts and seeds, and seaweed (if using) and tamari. Leave on low heat, stirring occassionally to prevent sticking and until rice is warm through.
- Fry tofu or tempeh in a little sunflower oil and toss in tamari once cooked, garnish with fresh herbs if you like. Can be served warm or cold.
Note: Arame seaweed is a fine seaweed available form wholefood stores/asian food stores. It's a mild tasting seaweed, adds a subtle flavour to dishes.