Are you interested in giving up dairy but not sure where to start? Here is a list of some of the amazing dairy alternatives that are available in your local supermarket or online!
Want to learn why people are giving up dairy? Check out our blog “Is dairy ethical?”. We unpack the industry, looking at the animals, the environment, and the health impacts.
There are far too many brands to list here. You can find them in your local supermarket in both the fridge and long-life section!
|Soy||High in protein, creamy, can be used in anything!|
|Oat||High in protein and fibre, excellent in coffee and baked goods|
|Coconut||Creamy, sweet, great for cooking, icecream, and in coffee|
|Almond||Great for cooking, cereal, and coffee|
|Hemp||High in nutrients (calcium, vitamin D, protein, omega-3), better in savoury dishes|
|Pea||High in protein, calcium, and omega-3, great for smoothies and cooking.|
|Rice||Light, neutral flavour, not good for anything that needs to be creamy.|
|Cashew||Creamy, rich in protein, great for ice cream!|
|Macadamia||Nutty flavour, great for matcha lattes, mochas, and baked goods.|
- Naturli – 100% Plant-Based Butter (Coles, Woolworths)
- Nuttelex – Buttery Table Spread, Original, Pulse Buttery, Olive Table Spread (Coles, Woolworths)
- Flora Plant – Dairy Free Vegan Spread (Coles, Woolworths)
You won’t be saying “but cheese” with this epic range of alternatives.
Schmear it on a bagel, use them in a frosting or in a cheesecake!
- Tofutti – Better Than Cream Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Bio – Creamy (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Kehoe’s – Cashew Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Sheese – Creamy Cheese, Garlic and Herb (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Made With Plants – Cream Cheese (Woolworths)
These cheddar blocks, slices, and shreds are perfect with crackers, nachos, mac and cheese, or in toasties!
- Bio – Cheddar Block (Coles, Woolworths)
- Bio – Cheddar Shred (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Sheese – Mild Cheddar Style (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Green Vie – Cheddar Cheese Slices (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Dairy Free Downunder – Cheddar Style Block (Online)
Fulfill your gooey needs with these mozzarella alternatives. They are great for pizza, lasagna, toasties, or with crackers.
- Bio – Original Block (Coles)
- Notzarella – Dairy Free Pizza Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Daiya – Mozzarella-Style Shreds (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Follow Your Heart – Vegan Gourmet Shreds (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Green Vie – Mozzarella Cheese Block (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Cheezly – Super-melting Mozzarella (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Sheese – Mozzarella Vegan Cheese Grated (Woolworths)
- The Vegan Dairy – Smoked Hemp Mozzarella (Find it at a store near you)
If you’re game enough to make your own, try It Doesn’t Taste Like chicken – Best Vegan Mozzarella, it grates, melts, stretches, and tastes delicious, making it perfect for pizza, grilled cheese, and lasagna!
- Extraordinary Foods – Cashew Parmesan Jar (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Follow Your Heart – Vegan Parmesan (Cruelty Free Shop, All About Empathy)
- Angel Food – Dairy Free Parmesan (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Bio Cheese – Grated Parmesano (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Green Vie – Parmesan Wheel (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Sheese – Grated Parmesan (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Hello Friend Foods – Haloumi (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Green Vie – Vegaoumi (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Bio – Halloumi (Coles, Woolworths)
Make your own vegan halloumi skewers, with this recipe from Exceedingly Vegan.
Love a cheese platter? So many brands are bringing out vegan cheeses perfect for any occasion.
- Sprout and Kernel – Peppercorn Nut Cheese, Chive Nut Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- The Vegan Dairy – Fruit & Pistachio, Aged and Smokey, Chilli Chives, Herb Garlic Boursin, Dill Chèvre Ashed Chèvre Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop, All About Empathy, or find a store near you)
- Artisa Ben Lomond – Brie Cheese, Gladstone, (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Dilectio – Camembert (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Green Vie – Blue (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Lauds – Ashed Walnut Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Vegusto – No-Moo Midly Aromatic Cheese (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Fine Cultures – Macadamia & Cashew Camembert Wedge, Peppercorn Brie, Chive and Dill Wedge (Cruelty Free Shop)
- Vegan Huggs – 5 minute Sour Cream
- Dibble – Sour Cream (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
Make your own homemade Greek yoghurt, with this recipe from Darn Good Veggies, or pick one up on your next grocery shop!
- Coyo – Natural Coconut Yoghurt Vegan (Coles, Woolworths)
- Cocobella – Vanilla, Passionfruit, Coconut,
- Nakula – Plant Based Probiotic, Mango, Natural, Passionfruit, Unsweetened (Woolworths)
- Activia – Probiotics Dairy Free (Woolworths)
- So Delicious – Dairy Free Vanilla, Strawberry (Woolworths, Coles)
- Coles – Dairy Free Coconut Yoghurt
For any mains that ask for dairy products, simply use one of the replacements listed under the alternatives above. With the list above you can recreate your favourites, from burgers to pizzas, lazagne, and grilled cheese sandwiches.
If you have a favourite recipe, you can always switch out the cow milk for one of the alternatives listed above. If you’re looking for some inspo, here are a few recommendations.
Make your own:
- Leelalicious – Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- Domestic Gothess – Chunky Monkey
- Tasty – Best Vegan Vanilla Ice Cream
- Minimalist Baker – No-Churn Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- Vegan Huggs – Strawberry Ice Cream
Or leave it to the experts who have perfected the creamy goodness without the cow!
- So Delicious – Creamy Chocolate, Very Vanilla, Chocolate Cookies n Cream, Snickerdoodle, Salted Caramel Cluster, Dark Chocolate Truffle, Banana (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop, Woolworths)
- So Delicious – Coconut Sandwiches, Dipped Salted Caramel Ice Cream.
- Pana Organic – Peanut Butter & Raspberry, Banana & Caramel, Passionfruit Ripple, Toffee Pecan, Boysenberry Cheesecake, Double Chocolate, Mint Chocolate Chip, Salted Caramel, Vanilla Bean (Coles, Woolworths)
- Ben & Jerry’s – Chocolate Chip Cookiee Dough, Unfudge our Future, Chocolate Caramel Cluster, Chocolate Fudge, Peanut Butter & Cookies
- Magnum – Dairy Free Classic, Almond (Coles, Woolworths, All About Empathy)
- Streets – Cornetto Vegan Vanilla (Coles, Woolworths)
- Coles – Dairy Free Chocolate Coconut Peanut
- Sanitarium – So Good Vanilla Bliss Frozen Dessert Tub (Coles)
- Plantitude – Frozen Dessert Cookies and Cream, Vanilla, Chocolate (Woolworths)
- Fropro – Singles Vanilla Dipped, Dairy Free Chocolate Frozen Dessert (Woolworths)
Make your own!
- Exceedingly Vegan – Easy Vegan Custard
- Doves Farm – Vegan Vanilla Custard using Cornflour
- Bianca Zapatka – Vanilla Custard Tart
- Amy Le Creations – Vanilla Custard Slice
Or use one of these custard powders:
- Just Whole Foods – Vanilla Custard Powder (Online)
- Foster Clarks – Original Custard Powder (Woolworths)
Yep – even vegans can have cheesecake!
- Bakerita – Baked Cheesecake (GF)
- Bianca Zapatka – Best Strawberry New York Style Cheesecake
- Taste – Vegan Chocolate Cheesecake
- Delish – Raspberry Cheesecake
- The Big Man’s World – Cheesecake (No Soy or Cashews)
- Vego – Hazelnut Bar, Spread, White Chocolate, Nuts & Berries, Vegolino Pralines (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Go Max Go – Cleo’s Peanut Butter Cups, Twilight Candy Bar, Jokerz (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Clarana – Candy Coated Choc Buttons (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Loving Earth – Salted Caramel, Nutty Mr Maple, Very Buck ‘N Berry, White (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Pana Organic – Salted Caramel, Macadamia, Vanilla (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Kresho – Almond Nougat Bar (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Treat Dreams – Caramel Chocolate Bear, Strawberry Chocolate Bear, Peppermint Chocolate Bear, Cookies and Cream Bar, Dark Chocolate Dream Egg, Berries & Cream Bar (All About Empathy, Cruelty Free Shop)
- Pico – Salted Caramel, Coconut Milk, Almond Milk, Hazelnut Milk, Super Dark, Mint Crisp, Sea Salt
These fluffy pancakes don’t need dairy or eggs!
Did we miss something?
Do you have a favourite recipe you’d like help vegansing? Leave it in the comments below and we will help you out!