Did you know that chicken is second most widely-eaten meat in the world? This demand means that almost 70 billion chickens are killed for human consumption every year, making them one of the most exploited land animals in the world.
This may have you thinking, but I am just one person, so what I eat won’t make an impact – but this isn’t true! By opting to try alternatives and reduce (or hopefully end) your consumption of chicken, you are actively saying you do not want to support the mass slaughter of chickens and creating a demand for alternatives! You’re also showing others that change is possible and this can have a domino effect on them.
Below are some great chicken alternatives, from vegetables like jackfruit to mock meats!
There are so many wonderful vegan chicken alternatives available in supermarkets and the list is constantly growing! The following can be used in a range of dishes from stir-fries and curries to wraps, burgers, tacos, burritos, salads, soups, or pasta.
- Sunfed Chicken Free Chicken (Coles)
- The Vegan Factor Chicvee Strips (Woolworths)
- Quorn Fillets (Coles and Woolworths)
- Vegie Delights Tender Fillets (Coles and Woolworths)
- Tofurky Plant-Based Chick’n (Woolworths)
- Lamyong Plain Chicken (Asian supermarkets, The Cruelty Free Shop, and All About Empathy)
- Suzy Spoon’s Shredded Seitan (Online)
- Susy Spoon’s Seitan Fillets (Online)
Drumsticks and Wings
Eat all the “wings” and “drumsticks” you want with these mouthwatering recipes:
- CFC (Cruelty-Free Chickn) Drumsticks
- Vegan Chick’n Drumsticks
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings
- Buffalo Cauliflower
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower
- Lemon Pepper Cauliflower Wings
If you’re looking for something quick, check out these pre-made options:
- Gardein Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Wings (Coles, Woolworths, Cruelty Free Shop, and All About Empathy)
- Lamyong Vegetarian Drumstick (Asian grocers or All About Empathy)
- Sayur Fried Chicken (Asian grocers)
- Lamyong Vegan Salted Crispy Chicken (Asian Grocers)
Stir-Fries and Curries
It is super easy to substitute meat in a stir-fry or curry, simply replace it with tofu and/or beans for a wholesome, filling dish. Otherwise, you can use one of the vegan chick’n options listed under “alternatives”! There is also a selection of pre-made curries available:
- Eaty Sticky Teriyaki (Coles and The Cruelty Free Shop)
- Eaty Peanut-Free Satay (Coles and The Cruelty Free Shop)
- Eaty Thai Green Curry (Coles and The Cruelty Free Shop)
- Coco & Lucas Butter Chickenless (Coles)
- Coco & Lucas Chickenless Rendang (Coles)
- Made With Plants Meat- Free Tikka Masala (Woolworths)
You don’t have to give up the crispy fried goodness of a schnitzel, there are so many vegan options! From mushroom, cauliflower, or eggplant versions, to more realistic mock meats, there’s something to please everyone!
Some great homemade options are:
- Vegan Chickpea “Chicken” Schnitzels
- Vegan Schnitzel
- Cauliflower Schnitzel
- Portabello Mushroom Schnitzel
- Eggplant Schnitzels
There are also a range of mock meat schnitzels available:
- Suzy Spoon’s Classic Schnitzel (Online)
- Herb & Son’s Chicken Free Schnitzel (Coles)
- Quorn Schnitzel (Coles and Woolworths)
- Fry’s Meat Free Schnitzels (Coles and Woolworths)
- Plantain Plant-Based Schnitzel (Woolworths)
- Unreal Chick’n Schnitzel (Woolworths)
- The Vegan Factor Chicvee Schnitzel (Woolworths)
- Vege Delights Tender Crumbed Schnitzel (Coles and Woolworths)
Who doesn’t love nuggets? They are super easy to make, delicious, and satisfy all cravings.
Make them yourself with one of these recipes:
- Kentucky Fried Jackfruit Nuggets
- KFC Style Vegan Fried Chick’n
- White Bean Kid-Friendly Chick’n Nuggets
- Chick’n Fried Jackfruit
- Chick’n Fried Tofu
- Chickpea Nuggets
If you’re wanting something to just throw in the oven or air-fryer, grab some of these on your next shop:
- Quorn Nuggets (Coles and Woolworths)
- Plant Collective Plant Based Nuggets (Aldi)
- Herb & Son’s Chicken Free Nuggets (Coles)
- Fry’s Nuggets ( Coles and Woolworths)
- Gardein Crispy Tenders (Coles and Woolworths)
Okay, so vegan alternatives won’t look like a whole chicken, but there are some options.
Alternative, you can buy one of these, or use the alternatives listed earlier.
- Plant Asia Plant-Based Roast Chicken (Woolworths)
- Gardein Mandarin Orange Crispy Chicken (Coles, Woolworths, Cruelty Free Shop, and All About Empathy)
- Tofurky Oven Roasted Deli Slices (Woolworths)
For a tasty chicken-friendly salad, use one of the alternatives listed at the start of this blog! Here are two delicious vegan versions of a classic Caesar salad:
A hearty vegan chick’n soup is perfect for the cold winter nights. If you have a recipe you love, veganise it by using a vegan chicken stock*, and one of the chicken alternatives listed above, or try one of these wholesome recipes.
- Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegan Chick’n Soup
- Mushroom Chicken-Style Soup
- Vegan Chicken(less) Noodle Soup
*Massel chicken stock cubes are vegan; Coles has also released a vegan liquid chicken stock.
Mad Mex and Nando’s now offer vegan chicken!
- Mad Mex Vegan Chicken
- Nando’s Great Pretender Vegan Chicken Patty