Vegan Seafood Recipes
Did you know that up to 3 trillion sea creatures are killed for human consumption every year? The rate that we are eating fish, prawns, and other sea creatures, is causing detrimental impacts on the ocean. Scientists have predicted that the ocean will be empty by 2048! That is why it is becoming more important for people to switch to plant-based foods. This means you may have to give up some of your favourite meals, but, for the animals, the health of the planet, and your conscious, we know you can do it! There are plenty of ways to make vegetables taste like “seafood” or you can use faux seafood products!
If you’re thinking, but I need my omgea-3 – don’t worry! Eating a balanced wholefood vegan diet, means you will still be getting all of your nutrients, without the negatives. Chia seeds, Brussels sprouts, hemp seeds, walnuts, and flaxseeds are just some of the foods that contain it! Learn more about vegan omega-3, here.
The following recipes use different vegetables to create a fish-like taste and texture. From sushi to fish tacos to salmon and fried fish, we have you covered.
- Olives For Dinner – Shiitake Nigiri
- The Colorful Kitchen – Vegan Carrot (Salmon) Lox
- Connoisseurus Veg – Sweet Potato Sushi
- Carrots & Flowers – Vegan Baja “Fish” Tacos
- We Are So Vegan – Carrot ‘Salmon’ Bagel
- Delightful Vegans – Vegan Fish Fingers
- Kirbie Craving – Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Elaphantastic – Banana Blossom Fish
- Rooty Fruity – Vegan Tomato Sashimi
Or, you can leave it to the experts, with one of these delicious alternatives:
- Sophie’s Kitchen – Fish Fillets (Coles, Woolworths, The Cruelty Free Shop)
- Sophie’s Kitchen – Vegan Smoked Salmon (Coles, Woolworths, The Cruelty Free Shop)
- Fry’s – Vegan Fishless Fillet (Coles and Woolworths)
- Gardein – Seven Grain Crispy Tenders (Coles, Woolworths, All About Empathy, )
- Quorn – Fishless Fingers (Coles and Woolworths)
We definitely recommend trying chickpea, lentil, or jackfruit tuna – we promise you won’t regret it!
- The Simple Veganista – Chickpea Tuna Salad
- The Green Loot – Vegan Lentil “Tuna” Spread
- Veganosity – Jackfruit Tuna-less Salad
Alternatively, you can grab some of these during your next grocery shop!
- Loma Linda – Tuno in Spring Water (Woolworths)
- Loma Linda – Tuno with Lemon and Pepper (Woolworths)
- Loma Linda – Tuno Sriracha (Woolworths)
- Loma Linda – Thai Sweet Chili Fishless Tuna (Woolworths)
- Sophie’s Kitchen – Vegan Sea Salt Toona
Prawns, Shrimp, and Scallops
Oyster mushrooms make a wonderful scallop alternative!
- Fork and Beans – King Oyster Mushroom “Scallops” and Pasta
- Olives for Dinner – Vegan Shrimp
- Ahimsa Cooking – Creamy Garlic Vegan “Prawn” Pasta
- Messy Vegan Cook – Vegan Shrimp Scampi with Linguine
If you have a favourite recipe, you can always use it, replacing the prawns, shrimp, or scallops with one of these alternatives:
- Plant Asia – Plant-Based Prawns (Woolworths)
- Sophie’s Kitchen – Shrimp
- Lamyong – Vegan Prawns (Asian grocers, Cruelty Free Shop)
Heart of palm and king oyster mushrooms have the same chewy consistency of calamari – without the cruelty!
Crabs and Lobster
Okay, so you will have to say goodbye to crab and lobster legs – but this is a good thing! These delicious recipes will make the journey easier:
- Hot for Food – Crabless Cakes
- One Green Planet – Hearts of Palm Crab Dip
- Vegan Yack Attack – Artichoke Crab Cakes
- The Edgy Veg – Vegan Lobster Roll
- The Colorful Kitchen – Vegan Lobster Rolls
If you’re looking for something quick, grab some of these:
- Sophie’s Kitchen – Crab Cakes (Coles and Woolworths)
- Gardein – Mini Crispy Crabless Cakes (Woolworths)
Vegan Fish and Oyster Sauce
Make your own!
Pick one up during your next shop:
- Niulife – Cocomino Vegan Fysh Sauce (Woolworths)
- Ayam – Vegetarian Oyster Sauce
- Red Lotus Australia – Vegan Fish Sauce
Did we miss something?
If you have a favourite we’ve missed or you liked any of the meals, let us know in the comment section below!